Here is roughly what your current assignments folder should look like:
assignments/ 01-constitution-text/ 02-html-practice/ 03-roygbiv/ 04-long-form-text/
Here are all of the homepage announcements to date:
Final Exam Blocks
- Section 2: Wednesday 5/12, 2:00-4:50pm
- Section 1: Monday 5/17, 8:00-10:50am
Good luck finishing up!
- Continue work on final projects
- Class notes from today's class include full lecture notes with most of the links and resources, and recordings from both sections.
Due Monday 5/3
Due Monday 4/26
Due Monday 4/19
- Finish Assignment: Final Project Proposal - I'm guessing most of you will prefer to give the presentations live, but if you want to pre-record you're also welcome to do that. Upload your recorded video to Google Drive and we can watch them directly from there.
For Thursday 4/15
- Lesson/Demo: Grid Alignment (Box Alignment)
- Lesson/Demo: CSS Grid Advanced Layout, Functions
- Video: CSS Grid Part 3 - Alignment and Functions
On Thursday we may have a couple of smaller new topics but no new assignment. I'm planning for mostly work period on final project proposals, so I'm happy to chat about your ideas during class if you want!
Due Monday 4/19
- Assignment: Final Project Proposal
Due Monday 4/12
- Finish Assignment 11 Wireframe Swap
Check the class notes from today for follow up links and resources on privacy and whatnot, as well as some thoughts on sophomore review (FWIW)
For Thursday 4/8
Begin Assignment 11 Wireframe Swap - Partner/group assignments are posted on the Canvas assignment page. Ideally you should have wireframe complete and raw materials passed off to your partner by Thursday’s class meeting. The work period will be most productive if we’re at least getting started on the code by then.
Due Monday 4/5
No class meeting Monday 3/29
Take an extra day for "recharge week"! Feel free to message me if you are working on the assignment and would like feedback/help, otherwise enjoy a small break. 😊
We will meet at normal time on Thursday.
Everything multi-column is up!
Links are in the current Canvas module, too.
I rewrote the assignment page to try and make the requirements a little more clear. Let me know if you have any questions as you work on it.
Plan for work time during class(es) next week where we can do breakout groups and/or I can help with your code. Any change to normal class meetings for next week still TBD.
I did not record either section's discussion of Adobe XD from today's class, but I did jot down some notes of what we talked about in the Class Notes for today.
Due Thursday 3/25
No class meeting Thursday 3/18.
Due Monday 3/22
For Monday 3/15
- Finish Assignment: Flexbox Exercises - rubric added in Canvas. Message me if you have any questions about the assignment or flexbox setup!
- Plan for Monday is to share/critique some finished flexboxes and start working with Wireframes. (Lesson and assignment page updates for Wireframes topic still forthcoming 😬)
- GO OUTSIDE TODAY IT'S SO NICE WHY ARE YOU READING THIS?!
For Thursday 3/11
- Review Lesson: Clipping and Overflow if needed
- Read Lesson: Display Modes
- Read and look over Lesson/Demo: Flexbox
- Begin Assignment: Flexbox Exercises
If you missed class or would like to review anything we covered today, my Class Notes are linked on our Canvas homepage as usual. Video recordings are posted at the bottom of the Class Notes (also as usual).
Due Monday 3/8
- Read Lesson: Clipping and Overflow
- Finish Assignment 06 Advanced CSS Selectors
- If you’d like to continue working together, set up a group DM in Slack! Or GroupMe, or whatever.
- Breakout groups are listed in the class notes from today’s class. If your group works on this together after class, please reach out to anyone in your group who wasn’t here during class, just to offer!
- Even though you’re working in groups on this you will still submit individual copies through Google Drive as usual. (
- I’ll collect what you’ve got for these on Monday and go over the answers. Good luck! 😝😈
- FTP Instructions
- Lesson/Demo/Video for CSS Backgrounds and Sprites
Due Thursday 3/4:
- Finish Assignment 05 Splash Page - upload to both the server, and to Google Drive
The Splash Page assignment requirements have been updated a little bit (both the Canvas rubric and assignment page are already updated). The only change is that I’d like to see you use
background-image to put an image or gradient somewhere on your splash page. It doesn’t have to be multi-layered or complicated like the demo, and it doesn't have to cover the whole page.
For Thursday 2/25
For Monday 2/22
For Thursday 2/18
- Read lesson pages on Typography and Color in detail
- Finish ROYGBIV assignment - Go a little further than checking off the requirements. Don’t forget to have some fun with the fonts, colors, and maybe some other properties! We’ll share at least handful of these in class to see what you guys come up with.
For Monday 2/15
- The big thing for today/this weekend is the Intro to CSS lesson and video
- Download and review course syllabus
- Check out the VSCode tips and features resource page/video
- Begin assignment 03 ROYGBIV if you're ready (due next Thursday 2/18)
Just finished grading the Constitution Text assignments and I have to say they were excellent. Formatting, tag usage, et al were very consistent which is really encouraging.
The plan for Monday includes:
- Intro to CSS feedback, questions
- Color and Typography lessons will be “officially ready”. I have to review the Typography lesson for any possible updates, but feel free to peek ahead at them anyway if you’re ready to.
- Introduce Browser Developer Tools
This will cover the remaining things you'll need to complete the ROYGBIV assignment.
For Thursday 2/11
- Assignment 02 HTML Practice - be sure to name your first html file
index.html, but your second page can have any name you like. Just stick to the suggested lowercase-no-spaces file naming!
For Monday 2/8
- Fill out Intro HTML video feedback survey (sent via email again)
- Finish Assignment 01 Constitution Text. Ignore the part of the assignment directions page about turning in at the end of class. We'll finish this up for homework and it'll be due at the beginning of next class.
- Reply to ice breakers! You don't have to read and reply to everyone, but I'd like to see by Monday that everyone has at least 4-5 replies.
For Thursday 2/4
- Complete the work environment survey (Google form, sent via email)
- Workspace Setup instructions (Canvas page)
- Lesson/Demo: Intro to HTML (lesson page + video) - Write down any questions or confusion you have as you're working on this. It'll make next class way more productive so I can answer all of your questions, no matter how large or small or silly!
- You do not need to upload or submit your finished demo code.
- Slack ice breakers!